Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Five Questions Leaders Should Ask

Perry Noble has been posting some great leadership principles that are reflective of seasoned experience and accumulated wisdom. May we be wise enough to heed his good counsel. Hopefully, you will recognize a few of these from our Redeemed Community days. [rgh]

One of the things I have learned as a leader over the past few years is that leaders do NOT always have the answer…so…we need to learn how to ask questions. Here are five that have helped me out in my journey so far…

#1 – “What Do You Think?”

Whenever someone brings a problem to my attention and wants to know how to handle it…I always ask them this question before I offer what I may think is a solution. (If you always have to be the one to solve problems…your church is in BIG trouble!).

The reason for asking this question is…I want to see if the person who brought the problem to me is a leader or not. You see, if he/she is a leader….then they have already figured out the solution that needs to be put into place.

If you ask this question to a person often…and they never have an answer for what they think should be done…then most likely you don’t have a leader.

A leader is BEGGING for his/her opinion to be heard…and this question can allow some unbelievable leadership potential to be unleashed in your organization!

#2 – “When Do You Need An Answer?”

Often times leaders will ask for your opinion/advice/permission when it comes to something in their area. Unfortunately, I have made the mistake many times of telling someone I would get back with them and not understanding the urgency of their request for some input.

So…I’ve learned that when someone seeks my advice one of the BEST things I can do is ask them when they need an answer…that tells me whether or not I have time to think about it…or if I need to immediately seek the Holy Spirit’s help and just give them the thought that He brings to mind.

#3 – “How Would BLANK Handle This Situation?”

Often times as leaders we get so emotionally tied to a situation that it clouds our ability to make the right decision. SO…a few years ago whenever I was faced with a very emotional BUT necessary decision I would ask, “If Andy Stanley or Craig Groeschel were staring at this situation and had to make a decision…what would they do?” (Or you could say – WWAD or WWCD!)

Why Andy and Craig…because they are two leaders who I believe God is using to change the world and make a difference. They have both mentored me and I highly respect them both as men of God and as pastors/leaders.

I can honestly say that there have been times that I’ve been stuck and this question has brought clarity to the situation.
SO…pick a leader you know and admire…and put their name in the blank.


#4 – “Who/What Area Will Be The Most Impacted By This Decision?”

The reason for this question is simple…no matter how your leadership process is set up…if someone on your staff (or an entire area) is going to be impacted by the decision that is made…then that someone (or a rep from that area) needs to be included in the decision making process.

If people are more involved in the decision making process…it is WAY easier for them to buy in.

#5 – “How Many Times Have We Dealt With This Issue?”

I saw a sign the other day that said, “Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting to get different results.”

When a leadership team has to continually wrestle with the same issue…continually makes the same decision…constantly experiences the same frustration and then goes through the cycle again…insanity has began to reign supreme.

If I just described your leadership meetings…then SOMETHING HAS TO CHANGE. What? I’m not sure…but I am sure that the way you’ve been trying to handle it isn’t working…so something new needs to be embraced.

http://www.perrynoble.com/2009/11/10/five-questions-that-leaders-should-ask/

No comments:

Post a Comment